The Reluctant King
May 28, 2014 at 12:01 pm Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: May 25, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: I Samuel 8
– A handsome profile most often excites expectations that no person can realistically meet.
– “Fate leads the willing and drags along the reluctant.” -Seneca, Roman philosopher (4 B.C. – 65 A.D.)
– Character is the collection of choices someone makes when they come under pressure.
– “He gave them what they asked but sent a leanness into their souls.” – Psalm 106:15 (RSV)
– As soon as Saul falls into a pattern of incomplete obedience, everything begins to slide.
– I am a cultural atheist. I do not believe the answers for the progress of the church lie in this world or this world’s systems.
Lessons from the Text:
- Be careful what you ask for.
- Don’t try to “be like other nations.”
- The only thing standing between you and a great adventure with God could be your reluctance.