It Must Be Easter
Date: April 20, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: John 20:1-18
– “The logic of death has been replaced by life.” -Dostoyevsky (1821 – 1881)
– If God can raise Jesus from the dead according to His own promise, can there be any promise God has made that He cannot keep?
– “Christian hope, by contrast, is faith looking ahead to the fulfillment of all the rest of the promises of God.” – J. I. Packer
– Life comes to us with strings attached. We are not so much “free” it seems, as we are just well adjusted slaves to the strings that pull at us.
– The Bible would say that death is our greatest string and the one who pulls it traffics in death, Satan himself.
– After the raising of Lazarus and the cutting of death’s string there, how could the tomb be anything but empty?
– “To sing to God amidst sorrow is to defiantly proclaim, like Mary Magdalene did to the apostles, that death is not the final word.” – Nadia-Bolz Weber
All quotes by Dr. Steve Elliott unless otherwise indicated.