Date: March 2, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: John 13:31-38
– If at the simplest level, to glorify God means to make Him look good, how does God look good in what is unfolding in John 13?
– “The greatest glory in life is the glory that comes from sacrifice.” – William Barclay (1907-1978)
– We are not to love as you love you, but as He loves you. How I love myself is completely selfish. How he loves me is completely selfless.
– “The measure in which Christian people fail in love for one another is the measure to which the world does not believe in them or in their Christianity.” – G. Campbell Morgan
– Jesus doesn’t over-ask from His disciples what they are not ready to give.
– “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” – Jesus
– “There are still many more days of failure ahead, whole seasons of failure, things will go terribly wrong, you will have huge disappointments, but you have to prepare for that, you have to expect it…” – Anton Chekhov (1860-1904)
– Jesus knew not only who Peter was, but also what he could become on the other side of his great failure.
– “Never let the sense of past failure defeat your next step.” – Oswald Chambers, “Streams in the Desert”
All quotes by Dr. Steve Elliott unless otherwise noted.