At Your Service
Date: February 16, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: John 13:1-17
– To be a servant of God is to simply meet the need that is within your power to meet. Ask the great Puritan question, “What is the good that needs doing in this place?”
– Humility has a power all its own. Christ’s humility has robbed the moment of its power to demean or degrade.
– “There is only one kind of greatness, the greatness of service.” – William Barclay
– Could it be that the simplest form of servanthood happens at home when we are simply fully present to family life?
– Washing the feet of someone comes easier when it is someone you love. Would you have washed Judas’ feet? Whose feet would you never want to wash?
– We are to take a posture of humility because that kind of servanthood is what will hold the community of Jesus Christ together in love.