31 Pieces of Silver
Date: February 23, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: John 13:18-30
– “If you want to know if you can trust someone, the way to find out is to trust them.” -Ernest Hemingway
– “No one fights dirtier or more brutally than blood; only family knows its own weaknesses, the exact placement of the heart.” -Whitney Otto
– Betrayal feels like getting pushed off the same cliff twice: it has double the impact.
– “If all men knew what others say of them, there would not be four friends in the whole world.” -Blaise Pascal
– Denial is only thinly disguised self-betrayal…refusing to acknowledge what is really going on.
– Judas is making plans to betray the life of Jesus and Jesus is trying to find a way to keep Judas’s betrayal a secret.
– [Judas] wanted the Kingdom to come his way, in accord with his preferences.
– I think it is a simple matter of sin’s momentum. You make a dark choice and compellingly, it leads only to darker choices.
– It is the nature of Christ like love that Biblical love believes the best.
The pattern of Jesus is…
-To offer love and not revenge
-To offer a door, a way out
-To know when it’s over
-We don’t stop trusting people because someone else has betrayed our trust.
– “If you’re betrayed, release the disappointment at once. By that way, the bitterness has no time to take root.” – Toba Beta
– Whatever you have done for the least of these, you have done unto me, whatever you have done to the least of these, you have done unto me.