Who Speaks for God?
September 7, 2014 at 10:45 am Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: September 7, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: I Samuel 25:1-44
– “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says… But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it – not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it – they will be blessed in what they do.” – James 1:22ff
– There are times we have life dialed up so loud we don’t hear Him. While God is continually speaking we are only selectively listening.
– Who will we be when no one is watching, when no one is holding us to account? Because that is who we really are… we are not who we project ourselves to be.
– In whose eyes do you and I want to be seen as being great?
– “Vengeance is probably the most tyrannical passion of the carnal mind… it’s the deepest rooted passion in the human soul.” – Oswald Chambers (1874 – 1917)
– A fool can only wound your ego if you allow them to. A fool can only hurt you with your permission.
– He is grieving and vulnerable to one of grief’s cousins: anger.
– “Life and death are the power of the tongue.” – Proverbs 18:21
– “Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay,’ says the Lord.” – Romans 12:19 NRSV
– “No, if your enemies are hungry, feed them, if they are thirsty, give them something to drink.”
– Peace making not vengeance taking is the spirit of Jesus Christ. Will you and I choose that? Vengeance cannot abide the agony that grace brings.