The Peace Key
Date: April 27, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: John 14:25-31
– “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
– “So life would be precious, Asher. Something that is yours forever is never precious.” – Chaim Potok (1929-2002)
– When Mark Twain lost a child to death he said it was like a house burning down: it would take a life time to sort through and realize all that was lost.
– What they are losing was the future as they imagined it would be with Jesus.
– They are blinded by an ending that keeps them from seeing what is beginning.
– Something ends and you keep looking back so wistfully and longingly at what used to be that you cannot see the door that is opening before you and inviting you into a future and a hope.
– The Holy Spirit is going to teach you everything you need to know to be a follower of Jesus by reminding you of everything Jesus said about being a follower of His.
– How do Christians make our way in this kind of world? By listening to the Spirit of God “make contemporary” the teachings of a first century Jesus for every new situation we encounter in the dailiness of life today.
– “We learn everything we ever need to know now by being reminded of everything Jesus ever said then.” – Dale Bruner
– No one can make a truth claim that is not in alignment with what Jesus and the Bible teaches.
– The Holy Spirit will never teach you what Jesus wouldn’t teach or lead you where Jesus wouldn’t want you to go.
– When the Son of God cries out from the cross “It is finished” it is not a lament that everything is ending: it is the cry of the victor who is shouting “I did it! I did it! I got it done!”
– “God can’t give us peace apart from Himself because there is no such thing.” – C. S. Lewis
– Let new life now begin for all who are tired of living in the never ending endings of life as it comes to us in a fallen world.
– We don’t have access to this peace based on how good we are at being his disciples, his followers. We have access to this peace simply because the Holy Spirit is within us.
– The giving of the Holy Spirit is rooted in God’s grace, not based on our performance… how well we obey. Obedience is the proof of our love, not the merit for Jesus giving us his peace.
– We have hope now in the face of life’s real struggles because we have seen what came from what looked like history’s greatest defeat.
– “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
– “When the power of love matters more than the love of power, then the world will know peace.” – Ghandi
– “Do you want to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” – Mother Theresa
– “Which wolf will win?” The old man replied simply, “The one you feed.” – from Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass
All quotes by Dr. Steve Elliott unless otherwise indicated.