The End of the Beginning
October 12, 2014 at 9:00 am Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: October 12, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: I Samuel 31 – II Samuel 1
– “Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.” – Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)
– “I always wanted a perfect ending. But now I’ve learned that some poems don’t rhyme… and some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle, or end.” – Gilda Radner (1946 – 1989)
– We are to think of “how human” this moment is, not “how historical” it is.
– You cannot hijack the purposes of God then spin them to be yours just because it serves your self-interest.
– If God had anointed Saul to be King then God Himself would have to be the one who removed him.
– Just as he would not touch the Lord’s anointed while he was living, he will not touch the Lord’s anointed in his failing.
– In David’s response we see how he interprets Saul’s death…how he reads it. Saul’s death is not “all about David.”
– Something must end before anything new can begin.
– “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Mitch Albom