The Day God Said No
November 9, 2014 at 10:45 am Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: November 9, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: II Samuel 7:1-17
– Can God say no to you? Will you give Him permission to deny you something, even something good, because He has purposes you cannot see from where you are standing, that He alone can see clearly?
– “We are not called to live our lives perfectly before our people but publically, that they might learn how to accept joys and disappointments, blessings and sorrows.” – Barbara Brown Taylor
– You wanna build me a house but I want to build you a house. You want to build me a temple but I am going to build you a dynasty.
– The church is God’s temple indwelt by the Spirit of God. (I Cor. 3:16)
– You and I as individuals are God’s temple, indwelt by the Spirit of God. (I Cor. 6:9)
– When you just live for Jesus you are doing something beautiful for God that, as we see with David, He intends to bless and favor.
– “You did well to have it in your heart to build a temple for my Name.” – 2 Chronicles 2:8
– “He would reveal it to us if we could bear it, but it is better for us not to pry into the mystery of His providence.” – F.B. Meyer (1847 – 1929)
– If you cannot build, you can gather the materials; and if you cannot go, you can provide for someone else to go.
– God must first build a man’s house before that man can build God’s house.
– “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” – Mother Teresa (1910 – 1997)