September 11, 2016- Sermon: “Where Do You Belong” (Steve Elliott)
Text: Ephesians 1:15-23
Discussion Questions: Be sure to discuss questions from both categories (Growing Deep & Branching Out). Skip some from ‘Growing Deep if you are short on time! Click here for more info about the purpose behind the questions.
1. Share with the group a time when you felt out of place, like you absolutely did not ‘belong’.
2. Tell a story of a season or a time frame in your life when you felt that you were living in authentic Christian community. If you cannot identify one, tell the group what the missing ingredient(s) was/were.
3. What caught your attention in the sermon … the thought or idea that surprised you? Why was that important to you?
4. What aspects of Christian community do you think you value most and why?
5. Who in your life models the kind of responsiveness to disruptions or differences of opinion in church life or community that you admire? How would you describe their attitude or choices?
6. If you were to make a list of issues or matters that make for diversity in the church, what would be your top three? What would be your advice be to someone who brought that matter up as a point of concern for them?
7. If you could ask the Apostle Paul one question based on what he wrote in Eph. 1:15-13, what would it be?
8. Where have you taken notice of the reconciling power of God, or God working in community, in your life–examples in your family, at your place of work, at school, etc.?
9. Where do you think the reconconciling power of God, or God working in community, needs to be seen in your life [examples above]?
10. Is there some new understanding that has come your way in the past year or so as a result of your prayer life? How has it made a difference in your day-to-day life?