June 22, 2014 at 10:45 am Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: June 22, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: I Samuel
– “Don’t follow someone who cannot get you where you need to go.” – Colin Powell
– Saul was all appearance, no substance. All sizzle, no steak. Who are you and I following? Will they get me to where I need to go, what I need to become?
– Grief comes like the wind, in gusts, and you don’t always know when the wind will pick up or how long it will last.
– “Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything good in the world.” -Helen Keller (1880–1968)
– There are times in our walk with God that life closes a door on us.
– “Life is about how you handle Plan B.” -Suzy Toronto
– There are other times in our walk with God that God himself closes a door on us.
– We need to remember, in the moment God is closing a door on us, that when he does that to us he is doing it for us.
– We need to learn that being unqualified for a certain role, does not mean we are unqualified for life.
– The key is to re-find, re-discover our true identity in where it is truly found, in Jesus Christ. Knowing this, rooting my identity in this, I don’t need to be king. I just need to be His!
– God protects his interest still… only now his interest is you!
Poem: When God…
When God wants to drill a man
And thrill a man and skill a man,
When God wants to mold a man to play the noblest part,
When He yearns with all is heart
To create so great and bold a man
that all the world might be amazed …
Watch His methods, watch His ways!
How He ruthlessly perfects
those He royally elects!
How he hammers and He Hurts him,
And with might blows converts him
Into trial shapes of clay which only God can understand;
While his tortured heart is crying
and he lifts beseeching hands.
How God bends but never breaks
When man’s good He undertakes;
How he uses those He chooses
And with every purpose fuses him,
By every act induces him,
To try God’s splendor out-
God knows what He’s about!