King at Last
October 19, 2014 at 10:45 am Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: October 19, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: II Samuel 5:1-25
– “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” – Ernest Hemingway
– There is a chance to learn more from our questions along the way than from the answers that come at the end.
– God gives David his future and know this: He will give you yours.
– David is rejecting self-interest and aligning his choices with God’s interest. He gives up getting even for getting ahead.
– “And David became more and more powerful, because the Lord God Almighty was with him.” He did what was thought impossible because the God who does the impossible empowered him to do it.
– When we realize that the source of power is not in we ourselves but in God with us, then real lasting change can happen.
– Inquire of God. Not when in doubt but from the start: inquire of God. God is findable.
– To give faithful leadership in God’s kingdom does not require perfection but it does require integrity. We are not called to live life perfectly but to live it publicly.