January 15, 2017- Sermon: “How Tempting!” (Steve Elliott)
1. What food tempts you the most!? How are you handling that temptation? cf. I Cor. 6:12-13.
2. C. S. Lewis had this to say about temptation in Mere Christianity:
“A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is… A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in.” What would you say is the hardest part to getting past the first five minutes?
3. Who in your circle of relationships seems to handle the common emotional temptations (anger, frustration, disappointment, etc) real well? Why do you think that is?
4. When life gets difficult … feels like a wilderness … what did you hear in the sermon that would help you interpret such seasons differently?
5. Can you recall a time when you thought God no longer loved you or couldn’t love you? How did you find your way back from that?
6. Psalm 119:11 says “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” How might this relate to the role of God’s word in battling temptation?
7. Was there an ‘aha’ moment for you in the sermon? If so, share it with the group.
8. What was one ‘take-away’ that you feel you can put to work in your walk with God?