Is Good Enough, Enough?
October 7, 2014 at 8:12 pm Categories: Sermons
Date: October 5, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: Matthew 19:16-26
– We are being told that we are not as valuable, not as acceptable in this world as those who do have what we do not possess.
– Who needs to trust God or walk by faith if you can create your own blessing?
– Soul deep needs can only be met by God: in right relationship with Him being shaped for right relationships with each other.
– He knows intuitively what a true follower of Jesus Christ knows objectively: that being good enough is somehow, not enough.
– “I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it’s not the answer.” – Jim Carey
What do we learn?
- To say that riches, youth or power are of no value in this world would be a lie.
- The values of God’s kingdom completely overturn the values of this fallen world.
- To be a follower of Jesus, to be a disciple, is costly and Jesus never hides that price.
- There is an implied promise that discipleship will be rewarded, but not necessarily down here.
- The self constructed life creates a false independence from God that makes it very difficult for that person to be saved.
- Appearances can be deceiving.
– It’s not about being good enough. It’s about being His.