Internet Safety For Families
December 5, 2013 at 2:46 pm Categories: Families First
The internet can be a great resource, but there are a lot of safety concerns on the world wide web as well. We’ve put together a resource to help you navigate internet use with your families.
Tips to keep your kids safe online.
1. Talk, Talk, Talk! – Have conversations NOW about family internet use and safety, which will make it more natural to keep the conversations going if issues do arise.
2. Establish Guidelines – Boundaries are essential! When can kids be on the internet? How long each day? What are they allowed to do? Be specific, realistic, and clear with the whole family.
3. Use a Content Filter – See the reverse side for suggestions. Many excellent tools are available to easily help protect your screen and home from inappropriate content.
4. Don’t Click What You Don’t Know – Young readers may not always understand the words and pictures that are vying for their attention. Help your children remain focused and safe by encouraging them to click only on what they are purposely looking for or doing.
5. Remember Jesus is With You – Not out of fear, but from your desire as a family to depend on His strength and wisdom in making good online choices – Psalm 101:3, Philippians 4:8
6. Follow Through – Sticking with the boundaries and guidelines you set together is the key to maintaining healthy and safe levels of internet activity.
7. Join the Fun! – Like anything else your children enjoy, be a part of what they’re doing. Share laughter and learn together.
Media Content Review Sites
Plugged-In (pluggedin.com) – All media reviewed from a Christian perspective
Common Sense Media (commonsensemedia.org) – All media reviewed from a family perspective
Movie Content Review Sites
MovieGuide (movieguide.org) – Movie reviews from a Christian perspective
Kids In Mind (kids-in-mind.com) – Movie reviews from a family perspective
Parent Previews (parentpreviews.com) – Movie reviews from a family perspective
Internet Filter Software Products