God’s Love Language
Date: May 4, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: John 15:1-11
– Just being present to someone is an unmissable message of love. It is the love language of presence.
– “Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you.” -John 15:4a (Eugene Peterson)
– So if they cannot abide with him there, they can abide in him as he abides in them. We are to live as if it were really true: that God is within us waiting to be with us.
– Abiding is how we express our love to him. Obedience proves our love.
– When His words of truth find a home in us, He who is truth senses the welcome of His presence in your life.
– We are meant to abide to the degree we become bold enough in prayer to take Him at the word of His promise.
– When we think in terms of “enoughs” we turn “being a Christian” into “doing a Christian.”
– The promise of the text is that He will make you fruitful, not you will make you fruitful.
– You cannot lose your faith, your standing before God, like you lose your car keys or cell phone. But if you decide to throw your keys or cell phone into the middle of the ocean, that is another thing altogether.
– “I reply that many are reckoned by men’s opinions to be in the vine who in fact are not.” – John Calvin (1509 – 1564)