A Tale of Two Kings
June 29, 2014 at 10:45 am Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: June 29, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: I Samuel 16:14-23
– How God works in normal life: He shows up and speaks into our everyday world.
– The Lord is with you, with all of us.
– “And if God be for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all – how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” – Romans 8:31-32
– Saul, without God, becomes simply a remnant of a person… once a person of untold possibilities now completely defeated by himself.
– When he wasn’t playing his harp, David was being shaped for his future. David doesn’t waste his time in God’s waiting room.
– David learned how not to be king by watching Saul’s failing example and learning from it.
– “Live in hope of becoming a memory for someone… a good memory.” – Antonio Porchia (1885 – 1968), Voices