1+2=3x’s the Trouble
August 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm Categories: King David, Sermons
Date: August 3, 2014
Speaker: Dr. Steve Elliott
Text: I Samuel 18:1-16
– Unchecked envy only ever leads to bitterness, and bitterness is like you drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.
– “Envy is the all-consuming desire to have everyone be as unsuccessful as you are.” – Frederick Buechner
– Seven Deadly Sins
– Envy occurs when we lack something somebody else has. Jealously occurs when something we already have is threatened by another person. – Richard Smith, Professor of Psychology at UK
– Envy actually tells you more about you that it does anyone else. This makes envy a public admission of a private, personal discontent with who you are or who you are becoming.
– “If you want to find out a girl’s faults, praise her to her girlfriends.” -Benjamin Franklin
– Breaking the Cycle of Envy
- Where we find our identity
- Cultivating contentment
- Nurturing the presence of God in your life